Re: [ferret_users] PyFerret on Windows?

Hi PyFerret users,

Thanks to your advice, my friend has now had a perfectly working PyFerret installation on his Windows-10 machine.

This is just to summarise the information you provided regarding the file system:

/mnt/c/Users/<your windows username>/

on Linux (Windows Subsystem for Linux, WSL) corresponds to

C:\Users\<your windows username>\

on Windows 10.  The directory is writable from within Linux.

So, I would recommend creating a symbolic link to the Windows home directory such as:

ln -s /mnt/c/users/<your windows username>/  otherhome

Regarding that, I recently heard that Microsoft announced that the File Explorer of the next version of Windows 10 will include a Linux folder.  Presumably, you will be able to open your Linux home directory on the File Explorer more easily.

Until that version of Windows is released, you would go to

C:\\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Local\Packages\CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_. . . .

to find your home directory from Windows, as Ansley said.  (The above example assumes you chose Ubunto for WSL.)

Best regards,

Ryo
PS.  In my initial message, I wrote "Windows Linux Subsystem (WLS)", but that was a mistake.  I realized it's called "Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)".  Sorry for the confusion.

PS2.  I don't know whether cases matter for Windows:  I've seen both "/mnt/c/Users/" and "/mnt/c/users/".  Perhaps the Windows filesystem (is that NTFS ?) doesn't distinguish cases.