Re: [ferret_users] how to calculate precipitation centroid

Hi Xiaoyu,

To refer to the coordinate values, use Y instead of J.  Y will be the latitudes, and J the simple indices along the axis. For example:

yes? use etopo60

yes? list/y=-5:5 j[gy=rose], y[gy=rose]
             DATA SET: /home/users/tmap/ferret/linux/fer_dsets/data/etopo60.cdf
             LATITUDE: 5S to 5N
 Column  1: J is J (axis ETOPO60Y)
 Column  2: Y is Y (axis ETOPO60Y)
               J     Y
4.5S / 86:  86.00 -4.500
3.5S / 87:  87.00 -3.500
2.5S / 88:  88.00 -2.500
1.5S / 89:  89.00 -1.500
0.5S / 90:  90.00 -0.500
0.5N / 91:  91.00  0.500
1.5N / 92:  92.00  1.500
2.5N / 93:  93.00  2.500
3.5N / 94:  94.00  3.500
4.5N / 95:  95.00  4.500

These are called "pseudo-variables" in the documentation, if you need more information.

-Ansley