Re: [ferret_users] Statistics / student-t distribution

One way is to use a statistical package to do the job. I ended up
learning some R (http://www.r-project.org/) basics (the choice was
driven by its popularity among my colleagues).
When combined with 'littler' ( http://code.google.com/p/littler/ ) you
can use spawn in ferret to get the simple statistics.

For example, to get student-t 0.95 quantile with df-degrees of freedmon
from ferret:
yes? def sym df 100
yes? let qt95 = `spawn("r -e 'cat(qt((0.95),df=($df)))'")`
 !-> DEFINE VARIABLE qt95 = 1.66023

If a long data series has to be passed on to R, it will be necessary to
write an R script, eventually using the RNetCDF
( http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RNetCDF/index.html )
 ncdf ( http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ncdf/index.html ) or
ncdf4 (http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ncdf4/index.html )
packages.