Re: [ferret_users] Spatial average on irregular domain

Hi-
This is not a simple question, is it. The size of the grid cells on a curvilinear grid may vary from cell to cell, so to compute an accurate average you would need to find a way to compute the area of the cells. On a rectilinear grid, Ferret computes the actual size of the grid cells using a simple latitude correction, but it does not have a means of doing that on a curvilinear grid. Does the dataset have variables that describe the area of cells? Some datasets do include that information. If so then we could find a way to create a mask using the curvilinear coordinate variables, along the lines of

let mask = if curv_lat gt -30 and curv_lat lt 30 then 1

and compute the average of the data multiplied by that mask. Another option would be to regrid the data to a rectilinear grid and take the average of the regridded field over the region.

Ansley