Re: [ferret_users] Fwd: Installation of Ferret on Fedora Core 4

Another solution would be to "borrow" this library (and possibly some more) from a later linux release. I had the same problem some time ago and only one dynamically linked lib was missing.

You may place the library file either in the system where your own version of libstdc++ resides but the system admininstrator may not be happy about this. Alternatively put it to some other place, possibly somewhere in the ferret path, say /your_installation/ferret/missing_libs. Write a short wrapper script, say "call_ferret", that calls ferret. Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in this script to point to the position of this library before the ferret binary is called.

#!\bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/your_installation/ferret/missing_libs
ferret

Now make "call_ferret" executable and start ferret by calling this script.
This should work. Please ask your system wizzard about the usage of LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_RUN_PATH.

Best,
Martin

Ansley Manke wrote:
Hi Robinson,
I believe you can install compatibility libraries to get Ferret to install correctly. Please see the Ferret Users List where there are a few discussions of installation issues under Fedora, such as this one:

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/maillists/tmap/ferret_users/fu_2007/msg00442.html

Our users have more experience with this particular issue that we developers do, so for this particular question you may find that writing to the Users List will be the fastest way to get help. If you haven't subscribed, please do so by following the directions at
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/email-users-group

Ansley