Re: [ferret_users] Fwd: Installation of Ferret on Fedora Core 4

Hi Martin and Ferret users,

| Another solution would be to "borrow" this library (and possibly some
| more) from a later linux release.
| I had the same problem some time ago and only one dynamically linked
| lib was missing.
|
| You may place the library file either in the system where your own
| version of libstdc++ resides but the system admininstrator
| may not be happy about this.

I think the best practice is something like this:

IF your system administrator approves THEN
  IF a system package is available (like an .rpm package) THEN
     Just install the package; Normally, the library goes to /usr/lib/ .
  ELSE
     Place the library in /usr/local/lib/
      or /usr/local/ferret/lib/ or something along the lines.
  ENDIF
ELSE
  Place the library under your homedirectory, perhaps under $HOME/lib/ .
ENDIF

Notes:
1) If a system package exists, it will take care not to cause
   conflicts.
2) The Linux directory convention recommends that non-OS-proper files
   go under /usr/local/ .
3) You can find rpm packages for most libraries.  Go google.

| Alternatively put it to some other place,
| possibly somewhere in
| the ferret path, say /your_installation/ferret/missing_libs. Write a
| short wrapper script, say "call_ferret", that calls ferret.
| Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in this script to point to the position of this
| library before the ferret binary is called.
|
| #!\bin/bash
| export
| LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/your_installation/ferret/missing_libs
| ferret

In addition to fixing the typo, I'd recommend this

  #!/bin/sh
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/your_installation/. . . .
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  ferret "$@"

"$@" passes all the arguments to the ferret binary.

Actually, I have such a script and call it "ferret",
so that the last line of my script is actually
something like this

  exec /usr/local/ferret-6.61/bin/ferret "$@"

but that's off-topic here.

Regards,