Re: [ferret_users] unlimited axis on z?

Hi Hanh,
You can append to a file in directions other than the time axis, but you need to define the entire depth axis first. This is described in the documentation - look up "append, slab to netCDF file". The example in that section shows reading from ascii files and writing to a netCDF file, so you only need to look at what is done in the SAVE commands.

Ansley

nguyen@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi ferreters
I have a huge file that I want to extract/regrid and write in a new file
with a double loop on time and level axes like below (a single loop on
time won't work because of insufficient memory even with the "set memory"
option).
but there is a problem on z-axis, since it's not unlimited as the t-axis.
So on the second step on z, the error message appears. Any idea what I
could do to make the z-axis unlimited too?
Thanks for your help
Hanh

!-------------------------
 yes? set da "u.mc"
 yes? sh da
     currently SET data sets:
    1> u.mc  (default)
 name     title                       I         J         K         L
 U        Eastward wind component     1:480     1:241     1:37      1:30436
 yes? repeat/l=1:1406 (repeat/k=20:37 (save/file="u.nc"/app u);)
!-> REPEAT: L=1
!-> REPEAT: K=20
 LISTing to file u.nc
!-> REPEAT: K=21
 LISTing to file u.nc
 **TMAP ERR: Requested data range is outside of data set limits
             Expected: U[K=21:21] Found: U[K=20:20]
LIST/FORMAT=CDF/file="/homedata/nguyen/ERAI/u.nc"/app u
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted