Re: [ferret_users] Installation problem in debian/ubuntu

Hi Saji,

| ferret: error while loading shared libraries: libtermcap.so.2:
| cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Debian doesn't have this version of libtermcap.so .
I'll just show a solution.  In the footnote, I'll add some
details that may be useful to Debian/Ubuntu users.

What I did to solve this problem was this:

  1. Google with "rpm archive libtermcap" (without quotation marks)
  and then you'll find archives of RPMs including version 2 of
  libtermcap .  For example,

     http://rpm2html.osmirror.nl/libtermcap.so.2.html

  2. Download the .rpm and use alien to convert it to a .deb:

     # apt-get install alien
     # alien libtermcap-2.0.8-41.i386.rpm

     (The name of the .rpm may be different.)

  3. Install the generated .deb:

     # dpkg -i libtermcap_2.0.8-42_i386.deb
     # rm libtermcap_2.0.8-42_i386.deb

     (The name of the .deb may be different.)

That's it.

Regards,
Ryo
----------------------
RPM is the standard package format used by RedHat Linux and other
Linux distributions aiming at being compatible with RedHat.
deb is the standard package format for Debian and other
Debian-compatible distributions including Ubuntu.

There are "compatibility" repositories of RPMs that include
different versions of various libraries, to answer questions
like: "My Linux has version zz of library X but application Y
requires version xx. What should I do?"

alien is a tool to convert an RPM to a deb.
dpkg is the standard package manager of Debian.