Re: [ferret_users] shade: a cross section with the surface topographyfilled at the bottom?

Hi Emilie,
           Here are 3 methods to solve your problem.

Also have a look at

http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_98/msg00242.html
http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2000/msg00083.html

And see : ferret/examples/two_dee_plot_of_1d.jnl

Plese have a trial with the example below,

Hope this helps,

Jaison

!---------------------------------------------------------------------
\ cancel mode verify
!
! 3 methods to overlay bottom topography on vertical section plots
!
!-------------------------------------------------------------------
!
!--1. THE BEST ONE : from ferret/examples/two_dee_plot_of_1d.jnl
!         Please note that the topography is not in the data resolution

   set data etopo20
   set data levitus_climatology
   set region/x=180:360/y=20n/z=0:5000
   let bottom = (-1)*rose[d=etopo20]
   let bottom_2d = bottom - z[g=temp]
   fill temp[x=@fln:100]
   fill/over/lev=(-10000)(0)/palette=black/nolab bottom_2d

   pause

!--2. Simple one, bit ugly, works good only with SHADE command.
!        Here the topography is in the resolution of the data.
!        Trick : define a variable which is valid where temperature
!                 is missing, then overlay this variable.

   let topo = IF temp THEN (`temp,r=bad`) ELSE 1
   shade temp
   shade/ov/nolab/nokey/pal=black topo

   pause

!--3. Better method than 2, both SHADE and FILL works fine.
!        Here the topography is in the resolution of the data.
!        Trick : Fill the plot area with a color (define a variable
!                 with the same grid as temperature but with the
!                 value 1 EVERYWHERE, use this variable to fill).
!                 Then fill or shade temperature over this.
!    This method will also work in one (default) view port, with
!      "/overlay" as in 2 above. But sometime it may lead to
!      problems with color key and "/set" & "ppl fill".

   define view/xlim=0:1/ylim=0:1 v1
   define view/xlim=0:1/ylim=0:1 v2
   set reg/x=180:360/y=20n/z=0:5000
   let topo = IF temp THEN 1 ELSE 1