Re: [ferret_users] how to shade the significant correlations at 99%confidence level

Hi Yun,
You can define variables based on your input variables to define the correlation -- see the script variance.jnl for ideas how to do this. To list the contents of the script:

yes? go/help variance

You will see that this script defines a variable for correlation, "correl". Here is an example of a shade plot between the two variables zonal wind and wind speed. (Just illustrating here; I make no claims about the validity of doing these statistics on 12 time points!)

yes? set data coads_climatology
yes? let p = vwnd
yes? let q = wspd
yes? go variance

yes? ! shade with a centered palette
yes? shade/palette=light_centered/lev=(-1,1,0.2) correl

yes? ! Or, to shade only the values you wish:
yes? let/title="99% confidence level" conf_99 = if abs(correl) GT 0.31 then correl
yes? shade/palette=light_centered/lev=(-1,1,0.2) conf_99

Yun.Li@csiro.au wrote:

Dear Ferret users,

I am trying to plot a correlation map between SST (60N-60S, 30E-300E)
and SOI of Australian winter (June-August) in 1950-2005.
Could you please let me know how to plot the correlation map with the
shaded correlations significant at 99% confidence level (>0.31 or <
-0.31)?

Thanks,

Yun Li