Re: [ferret_users] how to shade the significant correlations at 99%confidence level

Hi Yun,
(the reference for all of this is in the Users Guide, under "labels, removing" and "labels, adding".)

You can see any labels that Ferret automatically puts on the plot with the command SHOW SYMBOL LAB* , or PPL LIST LABELS after a plot is drawn, and then use commands to remove labels and add new ones. It looks like you already set CANCEL MODE LOGO to remove the labels in the upper right of the plot.

yes? ! draw a plot

yes? can mode logo
yes? use coads_climatology
yes? shade/L=3 sst

yes? ! see what labels were created.
yes? sh sym lab*

LABX = "LONGITUDE"
LABY = "LATITUDE"
LABTIT = "SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURE (Deg C)"
LAB1 = "TIME : 17-MAR 02:58"
LABNUM_T = "1"
LAB2 = "DATA SET: coads_climatology"
LABNUM_DSET = "2"
LAB3 = ""
LABNUM_DATITL = "3"

yes? ! get detailed label information
yes? ppl list labels
@ACSEA SURFACE TEMPERATURE (Deg C) @ASLONGITUDE
@ASLATITUDE

XPOS YPOS HGT ROT UNITS
LAB 1 0.000E+00 6.600E+00 0.120 0 SYSTEM @ASTIME : 17-MAR 02:58
LINE PT: 0.000E+00 0.000E+00 NO LINE LEFT JUSTIFY LABEL
LAB 2 8.000E+00 6.600E+00 0.120 0 SYSTEM @ASDATA SET: coads_climatology
LINE PT: 0.000E+00 0.000E+00 NO LINE RIGHT JUSTIFY LABEL
LAB 3 4.000E+00 6.330E+00 0.120 0 SYSTEM @A
LINE PT: 0.000E+00 0.000E+00 NO LINE CENTER JUSTIFY LABEL

yes? ! Redraw the plot, removing labels 1 and 2
yes? shade/L=3/set sst
yes? go unlabel 1
yes? go unlabel 2
yes? ppl shade

yes? ! Add a new label using the X and Y position and size
yes? ! of the previous label 1
yes? label/nouser 0,6.6,-1,0,0.12,"new upper-left label"

Or, another way to remove unwanted labels is with the /NOLABEL qualifier on the plot command:

SHADE/NOLABEL sst

This removes the title at the bottom and the LATITUDE and LONGITUDE labels on the axes. To put back the title, and any other labesl you want, use the LABEL command as above.

Ansley

Yun.Li@csiro.au wrote:

Hi Ansley,

Thank you very much for your help.
Following your advice, please find the attached correlation map between
vwnd and wspd with the shaded correlations significant at 99% confidence
level (>0.31 or < -0.31).
Could you please let me know the following two skills?

1. How to change the title "TIME: 01-JAN 00:45 to 31-DEC DATA SET:
coads_climatology" to another title such as "(a) correlation between
vwnd and wspd"?

2. How to remove the title "TIME: 01-JAN 00:45 to 31-DEC DATA SET:
coads_climatology"?

Thanks,

Yun