[ferret_users] descriptor files on IRIX

I am attempting to use descriptor files on an old SGI machine (IRIX 6.x), without success. After invoking the descriptor file with SET DAT, I am able to get a proper listing of variables and grid sizes with SHO DAT, but when I attempt to use any of the variables for plotting or listing, the following error message appears:

** netCDF error: Variable not found

Apparently the descriptor is tapping into the header information of the netcdf files, but can't go further. Has anyone on this list been able to use descriptors under the IRIX operating system, and if so, is their some peculiarity to the format? Thanks.

-Al Hermann

Albert J. Hermann
Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115
e-mail: hermann@pmel.noaa.gov
ph: (206)-526-6495 fax: (206)-526-6485
WWW: http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/~hermann/