[ferret_users] external functions with suse linux 9.3

Hi,

I am trying to build external functions for ferret  v5.81
Linux(g77) 2.4.21-32 - 07/14/05. I am using Suse Linux 9.3,
which has a 2.6 kernel.

I followed the instruction to build external functions
and started with the examples.  I use
 platform_specific_flags.mk.i386-linux

Make runs through and I can install in my path for external
functions. Starting now ferret, and listing the
external funtions, all show an error like the following:

    ERROR in External Function fill_xy:
   Dynamic linking call dlopen() returns --
   "./fill_xy.so: undefined symbol: ef_version_test_".

Other functions are missing other symbols, in dependence on what is
called first there. I have checked the mail archive, but could not find
an example, where the included library is found but the exports
of ferret are missing. I was also playing around with -fno_underscoring
but this does not help. The missing symbol
does not have an underscore with this option.

I am using gcc (g77) as it comes with the linux distribution.

gcc-Version 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)

Does anyone have an idea how to tell the linker or loader, where
the missing symbols are?
Do they have an underscore?

Many thanks and regards,
Martin Schmidt