Re: [ferret_users] Convert units of x and y axis from (KM) to (Degree)

Hi Ashraf,
You do not need to do any conversion. This is a curvilinear data set, with coordinate variables lat and long in degrees, and a data variable D2_aNO3. The units of i and j are not important, they are treated as indices only. You can user Ferret's curvilinear plot commands,

   FILL D2_aNO3[L=1], long, lat

or

   SHADE D2_aNO3[L=1], long, lat

Specifying any time step, like L=1 if the data depended on more than one time.  I don't see that D2_aNO3 depends on depth, but that could be specified in the square brackets if a variable depends on K.

To explore the data set further, try these commands (thanks to Andrew Wittenberg for the idea of a checkerboard variable.):

      ! show the curvilinear coordinates
   yes? fill long
   yes? fill lat

      ! show a variable on the curvilinear grid that alternates colors between each grid cell
   yes? let checkerboard = 0*D2_aNO3 + MOD(i+j, 2)
   yes? shade checkerboard, long, lat

Ashraf Zakey wrote:
Hi Ansley,

    Thank you for your reply. And I would like to draw
this data on the following domain, please see the
attched figure. I appricate your help.

All the best
Ashraf

The characteristics of my data is:

ncdump -h rv2_2_10_NILU_year.nc

netcdf rv2_2_10_NILU_year {
dimensions:
        i = 101 ;
        j = 51 ;
        k = 20 ;
        time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
variables:
        float i(i) ;
                i:coord_axis = "x" ;
                i:long_name = "EMEP grid x coordinate";
                i:units = "km" ;
        float i_EMEP(i) ;
                i_EMEP:long_name = "official EMEP grid coordinate i" ;
                i_EMEP:units = "gridcells" ;
        float j(j) ;
                j:coord_axis = "y" ;
                j:long_name = "EMEP grid y coordinate";
                j:units = "km" ;
        float j_EMEP(j) ;
                j_EMEP:long_name = "official EMEP grid coordinate j" ;
                j_EMEP:units = "gridcells" ;
        float lat(j, i) ;
                lat:long_name = "latitude" ;
                lat:units = "degrees" ;
        float long(j, i) ;
                long:long_name = "longitude" ;
                long:units = "degrees" ;
        float k(k) ;
                k:coord_alias = "level" ;
                k:long_name = "vertical eta coordinates" ;
                k:units = "eta_level" ;
                k:positive = "down" ;

float D2_aNO3(time, j, i) ;
                D2_aNO3:long_name = "D2_aNO3" ;
                D2_aNO3:numberofrecords = 1 ;
                D2_aNO3:units = "ugN/m3" ;
                D2_aNO3:class = "ADV" ;
                D2_aNO3:scale_factor = 1. ;
                D2_aNO3:_FillValue = 9.96921e+36f ;
                D2_aNO3:xfelt_ident = 0, 0, 0, 6, 2, 670, 1000, 0, 0, 101, 51, 0, 0, 0, -21, 72, 0, 0, 0, 0;
                D2_aNO3:current_date_first = 2001, 1, 1, 3 ;
                D2_aNO3:current_date_last = 2001, 1, 1, 3 ;

global attributes:
                :Conventions = "GDV" ;
                :model = "ZD_OZONE" ;
                :author_of_run = "Unimod group" ;
                :created_date = "20050905" ;
                :created_hour = "164425.705" ;
                :lastmodified_date = "20050905" ;
                :lastmodified_hour = "164519.940" ;
                :projection = "Stereographic" ;
                :projection_params = "90.0 -32.0 0.933013" ;
                :vert_coord = "vertical coordinates =(p-p(top))/(p(surf)-p(top))" ;
                :period_type = "yearly" ;
                :run_label = "rv2_2_10_NILU_2001" ;

--- Ansley Manke <ansley.b.manke@noaa.gov> wrote:

Hi Ashraf,
You asked several questions that all seemed to be
related to the same
question in working with your data.  Did Jaison's
answer help you?  If
you still need more help, could you tell us more
about the data you are
using and how you set up the stereograpic
projection?

It sounds as though your variable NO3 is initially
on a grid defined in
km.  If so, then you need to define a new grid in
units of degrees, and
regrid the data to that grid. If you define the new
grid to have its
coordinate points at the same locations as the input
grid, but in the
new units of degrees, then you would use the @ASN
regridding
transformation to put the data onto the
latitude-longitude grid.

Are you running the mp_stereographic_north or
mp_stereographic_south
journal script to create the projection? If so, then
you should regrid
to the grid defined in degrees first, and then use
the projection script.

Ansley

Ashraf Zakey wrote:

Hello everyone,

   With Netcdf data and Stereographic projection,

would like to convert the units of X and Y axis

>from (KM) to (Degree) using Ferret to darw the

concentrations of some Air pollutants.

I did something such as:

let x1=x/111.1
let y1=y/111.1
fill/set NO2,x1,y1

But it donsn't work

I appreciate any help

Thanks

Ashraf

''~``
                       ( o o )

+------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.------------------+

|           Ashraf Saber Zakey

|           Department of Chemistry

|           Atmospheric Science group

|           Universty of Gothenburg

|           SE 412 96 Gothenbrg

|           Sweden

|           e-mail:  zakey@chem.gu.se

|                    ashraf_saber123@yahoo.com

|                    .oooO

|                    (   )   Oooo.

+---------------------\ (----(

)--------------------+

                      \_)    ) /
                            (_/

Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina

relief effort.

''~``
                        ( o o )
+------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.------------------+
|                                                     |
|           Ashraf Saber Zakey                        |
|           Department of Chemistry                   |
|           Atmospheric Science group                 |
|           Universty of Gothenburg                   |
|           SE 412 96 Gothenbrg                       |
|           Sweden                                    |
|           e-mail:  zakey@chem.gu.se                 |
|                    ashraf_saber123@yahoo.com        |
|                    .oooO                            |
|                    (   )   Oooo.                    |
                             (_/