Re: Question about @AVE

Hi Ming,
If you make sure that the longitude axes that you are using are defined as modulo axes, then Ferret will automatically take care of averaging across the branch point where it wraps around the earth. When you open your dataset, you can check whether the input data is on a modulo axis with SHOW GRID varname

yes? show grid t2m

The first few lines will have something like this

GRID GNAME
name axis # pts start end
LONAX LONGITUDE 64mr

If the m is not present after the number of points in the x axis, then the axis is not a modulo axis, and Ferret will not wrap around when making computations. You can change the setting with a SET AXIS command. If the axis name is LONAX, the command is

yes? set axis/modulo lonax

Also when you define the longitude axes of your new grids, use the /modulo qualifier:

yes? define axis/x=0:360:10/modulo xax10

Ansley

Ming Yang wrote:

Hi, folks
I have a Netcdf dateset like this:
name title I J K L
T2M Temperature at 2 Meter 1:64 1:32 ... 1:12000

The I coordinate represents longtitude. I would like to use @AVE transfromation
to compute the average value of the variable T2M over several grids, but
the problem is the grids I would like average include the 0
longitude, So that in the @AVE transfromation I have to include I=60:64
as well as I=1:5. I am wondering what is the easiest way to do this
calculation in ferret? Thank you in advance.

Best,
Ming