shaded relief maps in ferret?

Hi;
Has anybody put together a shaded colour relief routine for ferret
map projections? If so, could you please send me a script. If
not, any suggestions for another freely available package that
has this capability (though I'm really partial to ferret).

NB, dear ferret developers, this would be a great addition to the
next version of ferret. As far as I understand it, it just involves making the palette colour intensity/brightness a simple function of the
surface gradient.

thanks

Lev Tarasov - Dept of Physics, University of Toronto,
60 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, M5S 1A7
Tel (519)-821-3555 Fax (416)-978-8905
email: lev.tarasoff@utoronto.ca
http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/lev/lev.html