My -gif mode conclusions on Win32

Hi,

I want report my experiences with Ferret v5.51 (and some tests with v5.53 too) on Windows (2000 SP3 (with cygwin) & SP4 (without cygwin) and NT).

I'm sure that the same simple script :

plot/line/vs {1,2},{3,4}
frame/file=out.gif

works sometimes and not work other times.

When it doesn't work, the result is a randomly corrupted GIF with a little valid part on the top (visualized in Internet Explorer).

Sometimes the out.gif is wrong, but I have a file named ".gif" generated by Ferret which is good, but on others computer it is wrong too...
I have tested that for example, the same script doesn't work on a local drive, then in the same Ferret session I go to a shared unix drive, it works, then I return to my local drive and then it works, but I don't know if it is always the case and if it is related to my problem.
I really don't know if it is related but on one computer I have Win 2000 SP3 and cygwin and on the other Win 2000 SP4 without cygwin.

The only solution we found is to use the Postscript -batch mode of Ferret instead -gif, and to translate it to PNG, rotate and crop it...

Note also that I've tried to use the gksm2ps script, but the -l cps seems not work...

Concerning the Linux 5.70 version, do you think I'll have the same problems ?

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your quick and useful answers (specially thanks to Ansley).

Thanks,

Julien