Re: netcdf library, netcdf.inc netcdf.h etc

Hi Takaya Namba,
                  Ferret distribution doesn't includes the NetCDF
library/include files. If you wish to link your programs (c/fortran)
with NetCDF library, you have to install it seperately. You can get
this done in two ways

 1. get the source files from unidata site :
        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/
    take the netcdf-3.5.1.tar.Z under the "What's New?" section.

    When you uncompress & untar this source file, you can see
     "INSTALL.html" in netcdf-3.5.1/src directory. Have look at
    Linux under "Tested Systems" to set the environmental variables
    neccessary for the installation (check manually wether all
    compilers are available on your machine using "which" command:
       [user@machine]$ which gcc
       [user@machine]$ which f77 ...and so on)
    Please note that for setting the environment variables you have to
    use "setenv" if you are using csh/tcsh shell and "export" if you
    are using "bash" shell..like

    [user@machine]$ setenv setenv FFLAGS '-O -w'  <== csh/tcsh
    [user@machine]# export FFLAGS='-O -w'         <== bash

    after setting all the environment variables (from netcdf-3.5.1/src
    directory)

         [user@machine]$ ./configure
         [user@machine]$ make
         [user@machine]$ make test
         [user@machine]$ make install
         [user@machine]$ make clean

   If everything goes fine, then give the full path to netcdf "bin" in
   /etc/csh.cshrc or other respective locations.

   Now you will have all include and lib files under the respective
   directories in netcdf-3.5.1.

  2. Get the rpm file (i don't have any experience with this..) from

   http://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=netcdf-devel
   OR
 http://rpmfind.rediris.es/rpm2html/mandrake-9.2/netcdf-devel-3.5.0-4mdk.i586.htm

   and install it..

       [user@machine]$ rpm -ivh netcdf-devel-3.5.0-4mdk.i586.rpm

  On my Red-Hat linux machine, i installed netcdf-3.5.1 as in the 1st
  method successfully.

 Hope This Helps

 With Regards

 Jaison

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, namba takaya wrote:

> Dear Sir
>
> If I can install ferret, does it include netcdf library, include file etc
> installed without installling netcdf itself.  Can I use netcdf library in
> fotran or C without installing netcdf again?
>
> I did install Ferret but I can not installed netcdf in Mandrake 9,1.
> However, I wish to use netcdf library and include file with fortran.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Takaya Namba

    Jaison Kurian
    Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
    Indian Institute of Science
    B A N G A L O R E   560 012
    Ph: +91-80-3942505
        +91-80-3600450