Re: ascii files

Hi Toni,
          Pleae have a look at : Ch2 Sec5. ASCII DATA in ferret users
guide. The examples 1-7 given in that section explains how to read ascii
data in all aspects.

  In your case you can try something like....

  file/skip=3/var="var1,var2,var3" mydata.dat

       skip=3 will take care of first blank line and two lines
       with text (ie. rows). Dont worry about the empty line at
       the end. If you want to skip columns...say 2nd column then

  file/skip=3/var="var1,-,var3" mydata.dat

Have a look at the manual if you want to get these variables on
to a desired grid.

Hope This Helps.....

with Regards

Jaison

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Toni Mira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to read an ascii file, for example:

> name *******
> company *******
> 2    1    -1
> 1    1    0
> 2    2    0
> 1    1    1

> Is there any way to read only the numerical values?
> My problems are related with the text lines and also with the non-written
> rows at the begining and at the end of the file.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Toni

    Jaison Kurian
    Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
    Indian Institute of Science
    B A N G A L O R E   560 012
    Ph: +91-80-3942505
        +91-80-3600450