Re: how to distinct variable T from axis T

Hi Yang,

See in the index of the users guide
(http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Documentation/Users_Guide/current/fer_html.htm)
see

     variable
         names, invalid, in NetCDF file

You'll find

     In some netCDF files the variable names are not consistent with
     Ferret's rules for variable naming. They
     may be case-sensitive (for example, variables "v" and "V" defined in
     the same file), may be restricted
     names such as the Ferret pseudo-variable names I, J, K, L, X, Y, Z,
     T, XBOX, YBOX, ZBOX, or TBOX,
     or them may include "illegal" characters such as "+", "-", "%",
     blanks, etc. To access such variable names
     in Ferret file simply enclose the name in single quotes. For
     example,

     yes? PLOT 'x'

     yes? CONTOUR 'SST from MP/RF measurements'

    - steve

Yang Haijun wrote:

> Dear Ferreters,
>
> I got a Netcdf file in which the variable temperature is represented as T.
> In ferret, T represents time axis. So how can I tell ferret the T is
> temperature instead of T axis? The data file is like this
>
>  name    title                     I         J         K        L
>  T    TEMPERATURE                 1:182     1:72      1:25     1:52
>  S    SALINITY                    1:182     1:72      1:25     1:52
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Haijun

> Haijun Yang
> Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> 1225 West Dayton St.
> Madison, WI 53706
> Phone: 608-262-1956(office)

                |  NOAA/PMEL               |  ph. (206) 526-6080
Steve Hankin    |  7600 Sand Point Way NE  |  FAX (206) 526-6744