Re: 1) CD-ROMs

On Sep 4,  9:01pm, Rodrigo Caballero Augi wrote:
I just tried this on my system (SGI IRIX 5.3) and it works fine. The device is
/CDROM and this is my output:

: ferret
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        Program FERRET (GUI)
        Version 4.45 - 01/21/97
        04-Sep-97 15:15

yes? yes? spawn ls /CDROM
Additional Software         PowerBook 3400 Read Me
CD - Important Information  Restore Installed Software
Desktop Folder              System Folder
Install Apple Extras        Trash
Install Applications        Utilities
Install System Software
yes? file "/CDROM/PowerBook 3400 Read Me"
yes? show data
     currently SET data sets:
    1> /CDROM/PowerBook 3400 Read Me  (default)
 name     title                             I         J         K         L
 V1       V1                               1:20480   1:1       1:1       1:1

yes? list V1
 **TMAP ERR: Error 0
             Last or next-to-last record read:
This documentcintosh PowerBook Computer
             Data set: /CDROM/PowerBook 3400 Read Me
             Data file: /CDROM/PowerBook 3400 Read Me

(Sorry - didn't have a data disk handy)

So I am not sure what is wrong with how you are accessing the drive - try doing
a df once the drive is mounted and see what device name the df command is
using.
Of course, on an SGI, the CDROM is permanently mounted by MAKEDEV.

The only other suggestion I can make is try a symbolic link to a local file.

Good Luck!

--
 Mark Verschell                     NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
 verschell@neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov    Code 970/Lab. for Hydrospheric Proc.