Re: [ferret_users] degrees without "E", "W", ?

Dear Ansley and Billy,

Thank you for your help!  Here I summarize what I've found so far.

1.  "ppl xfor,(i5,''@im09'')" works with  "set text/font=HERSHEY", which is Ferret's native font.

2. With system fonts (but I have tried just one), the number and the text overlap!  So, something like

    ppl xfor,(i5,''___°'')

may kind of work if you replace the underscore "_" characters with non-visible white space characters from unicode (untested). I've just tested this idea with the underscores.

3.  "cancel mode long_label" does disable "E" and "W" but also disables degrees symbols:

yes? set data coads_climatology
yes? cancel mode long_tabel
yes? fill/L=1 SST

In this case, Ferret stops its special treatment of longitude axes.  So, you still need to add degrees symbols by yourself.

Cheers,

Ryo
Out of curiosity, I checked what gfortran does with unicode characters. These days, unicode characters are nothing to worry about in modern languages.  So, this program

program try
  write(*,"(I5, '°')") 3
end program try

produced     3° on my screen.