RE: [ferret_users] Open ferret via remote server

Hello Antonio,

To make this wotk as you tried, you need to have an Xserver running on your local machine.

If you have a local linux version (or cygwin/X) this should be straightforward and you should have at most to set the DISPLAY variable on the remote machine (do a w or who on the remote machine to get the ip number from which you get in) and add the remote machine as xhost on your local machine.

If you get to the remote machine via ssh then you can tunnel the X traffic using ssh –X

If you do not have a linux version then you need either a remote login or something supporting the full display transport

I have used NoMachine (nx) http://www.nomachine.com/ to log in remotely and it just brings the whole desktop on the remote machine to you or you can use

logmein https://secure.logmein.com/  to simply get the display from the remote machine in a browser window. I use the free version which is good enough for me needs.

‘hope that helps,

Cheers,