Re: [ferret_users] Creating a descriptor file larger than 5000 arguments

Hi Fabricio,
The other method that I'm aware of beyond Ferret descriptor files, is a thredds aggregation. It means setting up a thredds data server, putting your data into it, and then defining the aggregation as a thredds aggregation. It's not that hard to do, though takes several steps.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/tds/ about thredds data server software http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tds4.2/tutorial/NcML.htm The section "Usign NcML aggregation" discusses aggregating datasets. The specification can point to a set of files without naming all of them individually.

There are also directions for setting up a thredds server in our LAS documentation. It can be found under the first couple of steps of the Installer Documentation, http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/LAS/documentation/installer-documentation/installation/

I myself have limited experience doing this, but others here in our group,and I believe others here on the Ferret list have lots of experience.

Ansley