[ferret_users] curvilinear data and coordinates units

Hi Ferreters

Be careful when using curvilinear data to have the coordinates units properly defined, otherwise the resulting plots can be faulty (Ferret 6.82).

Here is an example. I want to plot a global variable centered on the Pacific Ocean (curvilinear grid ORCA). I define a new longitude.

!! Longitude definition (without units)
Let nav_lon_bis = IF nav_lon LT 24 THEN nav_lon + 360 ELSE nav_lon
Shade my_var, nav_lon_bis, nav_lat

The result (see fig1.gif) is bad.

!! Longitude definition (with units)
Let /Units=lon nav_lon_bis = IF nav_lon LT 24 THEN nav_lon + 360 ELSE nav_lon
Shade my_var, nav_lon_bis, nav_lat

The result (see fig2.gif) is good.

This problem happens with Ferret 6.82, but not with Ferret 6.2

Bruno Levier