Re: [ferret_users] Apache & Ferret not plotting

Hi,

> The perl script invokes: /usr/local/ferret/bin/ferret -gif -script
> /mnt/make_match_map.jnl
>
> And the "make_match_map.jnl" contains:
> set region x=100E:100E/y=-90:90
> go fland 20 white
> go fland
> FRAME/file="/mnt/r02/www/html/temp/match_map.gif"
> quit
>

> So far I've ruled out write priviliges since the image file is
> created when the script is executed manually as apache user.

Is it possible that your CGI script is run as a different user?
I think apache can be configured so that CGI programs are run
as a different user (for security reasons).

You can find which user the daemon uses in apache's
configuration file(s).  Or you can invoke shell commands
(through the "SP" command of Ferret) to find out
which user it's currently run as.

You might also want to check the state of the directory
into which your program is writing, by including a line like

  SP ls -ld /mnt/r02/www/html/temp/

in your Ferret script.

Or, is it possible that your apache daemon or CGI programs
are "chroot"ed?  (chroot sets the root directory of a program
to a part of the directory tree to prevent access to other parts of
your filesystem.)

Regards,
Ryo