[ferret_users] Apache & Ferret not plotting

Dear Ferreters

I'm trying to run a perl cgi script that invokes ferret to create a plot using ferret (v6.2). When I run the script manually (as apache user), the gif file is created with no problem. However, when I try running it through the apache daemon (by executing the web-based perl script) there is no image generated, and I get the following error output:

**ERROR: .gif: Permission denied
gdeactivatews()    3 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in the state WSAC
gactivatews()    6 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be either in the state WSOP or in the state WSAC
ginqwsconntype()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gsetwswindow()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gescsetdcsize()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gupdatews()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
ginqwsconntype()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gsetwswindow()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gescsetdcsize()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
gupdatews()    7 GKS not in proper state: GKS shall be in one of the states WSOP, WSAC or SGOP
 **ERROR: required program command has not been given: graphical output device isnt ready
shade/nolab/nokey/lev=(0,10000,10000)/pal=white/overlay    rose[x=0:360]
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted
STOP -script mode, ERROR RUNNING SCRIPT statement executed

The perl script invokes: /usr/local/ferret/bin/ferret -gif -script /mnt/make_match_map.jnl

And the "make_match_map.jnl" contains:
set region x=100E:100E/y=-90:90
go fland 20 white
go fland
FRAME/file="/mnt/r02/www/html/temp/match_map.gif"
quit

So far I've ruled out write priviliges since the image file is created when the script is executed manually as apache user.

Anyone come across a similar situation? Any suggestions/guidance with this would be really helpful,

Thanks!!