Re: [las_users] How do you produce a plot using LAS 8 without tic marks?

Ansley,

I would like the capability of having no tic marks at all for certain datasets or variables.  I was asked to produce plots without graticule lines and without land fill outlines but when I turned these options off, the tic marks inside the plot remained.  I am interested in an option to remove those also. Would it be possible to have an option under the Show Graticule option that specified None/No tic in addition to the None currently there?

Penny

From: Ansley Manke <ansley.b.manke@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, December 19, 2014 12:30 PM
To: Roland Schweitzer - NOAA Affiliate <roland.schweitzer@xxxxxxxx>, "Oots, Penny C. (LARC-E301)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS, INC]" <penny.c.oots@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "las_users@xxxxxxxx" <las_users@xxxxxxxx>, "Oostra, Daniel H. (LARC-E3)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS, INC]" <daniel.h.oostra@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [las_users] How do you produce a plot using LAS 8 without tic marks?

Hi Penny,
This isn't something that LAS is set up to do now, but it should be possible to make some small changes that would let you do this.

Would you want the tics to be outside the plot axis lines? Crossing the axis?  None at all?  Would you want the same change for all plots? Or for some styles, or some datasets? A Ferret property in the configuration files could apply a style setting to the whole LAS or to datasets or variables. We made the change to draw the tic marks inside the border for LAS v8 where the plot itself takes up most of the real estate in the plot portion of the UI, with just small white margins around the edges; and to have them not interfere with the color bar along the top.  But I think we can come up with something that would look nice.

I suppose that when the dashed graticule lines are drawn, tic marks aren't really necessary. (Those graticule lines can be turned off or changed in the Plot Options menu.)  One thing we could do is when the graticule lines are turned on, tic marks are turned off.

Ansley