Re: [las_users] Setting up the FERRET display environment

Hi Ajay,
This one should really have gone to the Ferret list rather than the LAS list, but here we are.

I think this will be an issue of letting well enough alone. You say Ferret had been working until you tried this change. The Ferret installation guide says

To get graphical output from Ferret at your workstation, you must have the X Windows environment variable DISPLAY defined properly. Check whether your DISPLAY variable is alresdy set,

    % printenv DISPLAY
If you system is called anorak, then the response might be anorak:0.0 or, depending on your environment, something like localhost:10.0. If DISLPAY is not set, then set the variable to point to the workstation screen where you want Ferret graphical output displayed. In the example below graphics output will be sent to the screen of workstation anorak.
    % setenv DISPLAY anorak:0.0

So take that setting to MONSTER:0.0 out of your startup file, and start a new xterm session. What does "printenv DISPLAY" show?

Ansley