Re: [las_users] LAS unable to catch errors

Hi Upendra,
Thank you for the report, and I understand your concern. When LAS reads this time series (via Ferret), the software is not returning any error code, so LAS doesn't have any way to report that anything is wrong.  In general, I would say that if you see errors such as
  Malformed or inaccessible DAP DATADDS
with any slice of a dataset, it's an indication of problems with the dataset or aggregation or the thredds server (as you know).

However I can do a few things to check into this.

Following the Info link from this dataset in your LAS, the URL for the data is shown to be
http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/pathfinder/testdata/crw/oa_data/aggregations/yearly_aggregate_2000.ncml

If I look at that URL directly in Ferret, using the latest official release of Ferret,  I see the kind of thing that's showing up in your LAS. This version of Ferret is linked with NetCDF4.1.1 for reading NetCDF files and OPeDNAP url's.  Here are the Ferret commands to list the NetCDF version, and list a time series from the data.  The netCDF library is making a data request, and data is read from the URL without any error flags.
yes? show symbol netcdf*
NETCDF_VERSION = "4.1.1 of Sep 16 2010 10:42:11 $"

yes? use "http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/pathfinder/testdata/crw/oa_data/aggregations/yearly_aggregate_2000.ncml"

yes? list/x=60w/y=22 pH
             VARIABLE : NOAA Coral Reef Watch Experimental Ocean Acidification Product Suite - pH 25km (Total Scale)
             DATA SET : Archived NOAA Coral Reef Watch  25km Ocean Acidification Product Suite for the Greater Caribbean Region -monthly, 2000
             FILENAME : yearly_aggregate_2000.ncml
             FILEPATH : http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/pathfinder/testdata/crw/oa_data/aggregations/
             SUBSET   : 12 points (TIME)
             LONGITUDE: 60.1W
             LATITUDE : 21.9N
                    60.13W
                    121
 15-JAN-2000 /  1:   82.2
 14-FEB-2000 /  2:  257.0
 16-MAR-2000 /  3:   82.4
 15-APR-2000 /  4:  151.1
 16-MAY-2000 /  5:   82.2
 15-JUN-2000 /  6:  295.5
When the same Ferret code is linked with the most-recent beta NetCDF library, I see what looks like to be the correct result
yes? show symbol netcdf*
NETCDF_VERSION = "4.1.2-beta2-snapshot2011010522 of Jan  6 2011 10:14:32 $"

yes?  use "http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/pathfinder/testdata/crw/oa_data/aggregations/yearly_aggregate_2000.ncml"

yes? list/x=60w/y=22 pH
             SUBSET   : 12 points (TIME)
             LONGITUDE: 60.1W
             LATITUDE : 21.9N
                    60.13W
                    121
 15-JAN-2000 /  1:  8.100
 14-FEB-2000 /  2:  8.100
 16-MAR-2000 /  3:  8.100
 15-APR-2000 /  4:  8.100
 16-MAY-2000 /  5:  8.100
 15-JUN-2000 /  6:  8.100

So it seems that the upcoming netCDF4.1.2 release does something that is more robust with respect to whatever is wrong with the dataset. Unidata is planning a release of netCDF4.1.2 very soon, and we will be releasing a new version of Ferret which will be linked with that.

Ansley