Re: [las_users] F-TDS error

Hi John,

Details below...

On 12/10/2010 07:19 AM, John Relph wrote:
On 12/09/2010 12:24 PM, Roland Schweitzer wrote:
On 12/09/2010 10:43 AM, John Relph wrote:
Roland Schweitzer wrote:
John,

The test that is failing is access to the F-TDS version of the data
URL for the data sets installed with LAS.  When LAS starts is creates
a small journal file in the directory you chose in the configuration
step which sets up access to that data set via F-TDS. When I click on
the LAS OPeNDAP link (http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/las/) I
see the default data sets instead of those that are configured into
your LAS.
Where is the name of that directory recorded in the configuration? That is, in which configuration files would I find the name of that directory
so that I can verify that the configuration is correct?
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/las/WEB-INF/classes/resources/ferret/FerretBackendConfig.xml

There are actually three directories that are used for LAS and F-TDS to communicate and they are attributes on the <invoker> element:

<invoker base_dir="resources/ferret"
executable="/home/porter/tmap/ferret/x86_64-linux/bin/ferret"
                 time_limit="3600" template_dir="templates"
                 output_dir="/home/porter/rhs/tomcat/webapps/las/output"
http_base_url = "http://porter.pmel.noaa.gov:8920/las/output";
                 iosp_script_dir="resources/iosp/scripts"
*iosp_temp_dir="/home/porter/rhs/tomcat/content/las/conf/server/temp"
iosp_data_dir="/home/porter/rhs/tomcat/content/las/conf/server/data/dynamic" las_tfds_data_dir="/home/porter/rhs/tomcat/content/las/conf/server/data"*
                 iosp_base_dir="resources/iosp"
opendap_base_url = "http://porter.pmel.noaa.gov:8920/thredds/dodsC/output"/>

Roland,

I did find an error in the TDS catalog.xml which I have correct, so that the "Data from LAS" entry is now pointing to the correct directory. However, F-TDS still does not work.

So, more questions.

First, I'm looking at the value for "http_base_url". When I visit that URL at our site (http_base_url = "http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/las/output";) I get an error. Is that URL used as a base for a longer URL? How can I test it?

Yes, it's the base of all the product URLs. You are not likely to have permission to view http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/las/output. You will have to look at an individual image in that directory. Seems to work. I did a plot and it loaded the image. http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/las/output/96C61F1A6F5E8B6210888FEDA657A831_plot_image.gif

Similarly, the "opendap_base_url" is defined but when I attempt to access it using my browser, I get an error. How can I test if it's working correctly?

This is a little tricky. The /output is a vestige we don't use any more. The URL you want can be found in the banner of the LAS page under the OPeNDAP link (http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/las/).

This all appears to be working just fine until I try to click on an actual F-TDS dataset:
http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/las/id-fd80f65d91/catalog.html
http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/las/id-fd80f65d91/catalog.html?dataset=las/id-fd80f65d91/data_data.nodc.noaa.gov_thredds_dodsC_pathfinder_testdata_crw_oa_data_aggregations_yearly_aggregate_2005.ncml.jnl
http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/thredds/dodsC/las/id-fd80f65d91/data_data.nodc.noaa.gov_thredds_dodsC_pathfinder_testdata_crw_oa_data_aggregations_yearly_aggregate_2005.ncml.jnl.html

Then I get an IO Exception from the Ferret IOSP code:

Error {
    code = 500;
    message = "java.lang.Exception: Ferret config file resources/iosp/FerretConfig.xml not found.";
};

This tells me that the Java classes are deployed in the right place in the TDS and that the IOSP is plugged into the threddsConfig.xml correctly, but apparently some or all of the resources are missing.

There is an 'deploy-iosp' target that just deploys the IOSP code and resources. You can refer to that in order to see what files go where.

Roland

        -- John

I'm not sure why those files are not being written at start up, but
perhaps there is a permission problem with the directory vis a vis the
process that is running tomcat.  F-TDS and LAS need to write in that
directory to do their work.  You can remove the default data set
directories now that you have your own data configured, but you should
see new directories created when LAS starts.
I don't see those directories at all.  Of course, since I'm not sure
where I'm looking, I don't know exactly what I'm looking for either.

In my case, you see the directory is called: */home/porter/rhs/tomcat/content/las/conf/server/data*

which looks like:

[rhs@porter ferret]$ ls /home/porter/rhs/tomcat/content/las/conf/server/data
coads_climatology_cdf             NOAA_NCEP_EMC_CMB_Ocean_Analysis_ml
dynamic                           ocean_atlas_subset
levitus_climatology_cdf
NOAA_NCEP_EMC_CMB_Ocean_Analysis

Another possibility is that the FerretBackendConfig.xml file and the
FerretConfig.xml file in F-TDS that are being used are pointing to the
wrong directory for deployment on the public server.
In which directories are those two configuration files expected to be
found on a correctly configured system?
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/las/WEB-INF/classes/resources/ferret/FerretBackendConfig.xml
(as mentioned above) and
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/thredds/WEB-INF/classes/resources/iosp/FerretConfig.xml

In most cases these files will be identical.

Roland

         -- John

Roland