From: owner-las_users@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-las_users@xxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Roland Schweitzer
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 12:42 PM
To: Frost, Mr. Michael
Cc: oar.pmel.las_users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [las_users] lasV7.xml

Hello,

Frost, Mr. Michael wrote:
> Hi:  I work on the USGODAE project.
>
> We are currently running LAS version 7.0.3.
>
> I noticed that when I use the LAS, that the dates for my datasets are
> not current.  However, when I switched over to the 'classic' they were

> current.
>

> I think what is happening, but I am a noob, is that the
> webapps/las/output/lasV7.xml is not getting automatically updated.

This file is just debug output.  It is not used by the running system.
> If I remove this file, and bounce the server (stopserver, startserver)

> that this file gets recreated, and the dates for my datasets are
> current.

When LAS starts it reads the current state of the configuration (in the
$LAS_HOME/conf/server/las.xml file) and the state of the date widgets
are set according the values in that file at the time the server starts.
Those values are held in memory and won't change, even if you change the
file on disk, unless you do one of two things.  The first is to restart
the server.  Of course, it's not always ideal to stop and start a
running server so we have built an admin interface that will allow you
to reinitialize the server (have it re-read the
$LAS_HOME/conf/server/las.xml file) and thereby update the data ranges.

The details are here:
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/LAS/documentation/installer-documentation/la
s-administration

In the case of the version 6 server, when you run genLas.pl you are
essentially doing the same thing as reinitializing the server.  The
software reads the current values in $LAS_HOME/conf/server/las.xml and
writes them to the database that the user interface uses to drive the
widgets.

N.B. In newer versions of the server las.xml is located in
$TOMCAT/content/[las]/conf/server.  Where [las] is the context name you
gave your server at start up time.

Roland