Re: [las_users] Measuring data volume output

Hello,

L M wrote:
Dear LAS user community

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to measure how much data is being requested by users through the LAS server.
I've been working on cleaning up the log entries for LAS so that at the "info" level you only get one start and one end message for each request. From this you could in theory parse the log file and get some information about what users are requesting, but to quantify this information you'd have to parse the request XML. From there you'd have do some calculations about each product request based on the number of time steps and the spatial ranges. On the other hand, a request for a plot of a time average "requests" a lot of data, but only transfers the number of bytes in the image and surrounding HTML. It's open to interpretation how much data the user requested.

Since I'm messing with the logs, I'd be happy to hear suggestions about what sort of information you'd like logged. I can't promise we'll be able to provide it, but I'd like to know what you and others want.

Also, anyone has any thoughts on how to do this for a THREDDS server too?