Re: [las_users] Moving Date Windows

Phil Cogbill wrote:
I was just curious, but we have datasets that have a moving window.  We
have datasets that only have the last year of data available rather than
the entire period of record because it would be much too large to store
on spinning disc.  The older data is removed (but stored on a archive
system) and the new data is appended. The window of data that is
available on spinning disc is known.
ie.) May 15th, 2009 - May 15th, 2010

LAS seems to know something is wrong.
 **ERROR: illegal limits: VVEL does not exist at T=15-JUN-2010 00:00
          Axis extremes are T=15-MAY-2009 21:00:15-MAY-2010 21:00

Is there a way that LAS can detect this and render the correct dates in
the interface?

Phil,

We are aware that this is a common use case and we have made a few attempts to fix the problem within LAS, but as of yet we don't have a working solution.

Right now, the only way LAS can render the correct dates into the user interface so that the user cannot select a time that is not available is if the configuration information that it has read into memory matches what's available in the dataset. To keep data sets like those you describe in sync requires some external intervention.

The most common way to solve the problem now is to run a cron job that edits or recreates (using addXML) the configuration information for the data set. Once the configuration has been updated, then LAS can be coaxed into re-initializing itself from the admin interface. If you configure the admin interface you can do the re-initialization manually by clicking the link. But, in most cases you want the re-initialization to happen automatically. To do that you can hit the re-init URL from a cron job script using wget. The trick is that the URL typically requires authentication.

You have two choices, you can hit the link using a URL that contains the login information in the standard http://login:password/server.gov/reinit.do. That leaves your LAS admin password lying around in plain text, which is not ideal. You can also configure LAS so that the reinit link does not require authentication and block access to the link from outside the firewall. Again, none of this is even remotely close to ideal, but it's the best we have right now.

We have it on our todo list to provide some better solutions.

Roland
Thanks for the input,

Phil