Re: [las_users] Aggregation with Ferret

Ying at NCCS wrote:
Hi Roland and Ansley
I remember many years ago I used ferret jnl to aggregate model run files and configured into LAS. Does new ferret/las still support this kind aggregation ?
We (at least I) don't recommend this type of aggregation.
It seems to me that LAS/Ferret is fast enough but access model data that are aggregated through either TDS/GDS is very slow, in particular for large number of files. It might be better if just let Ferret read the file directly. Also I wonder if this new ferretnc4 supports parallel IO (as netcdf 4 does).
With all the new caching and other optimizations in TDS I think the performance it quite good even for large data sets. There are always trade-offs, but I think the performance is adequate the the other characteristics like ease of installation and maintenance make TDS a better solution than "aggregating" with a Ferret descriptor file.

I am interested at running LAS backend service on our center's powerful machine with GPFS support, so it may speed up data analysis function on the server side.

If your LAS F-TDS on this backend, then you will be able to do server-side analysis on that powerful machine and LAS will take advantage of those server side functions for regridding when doing comparisons.
Thanks again for all these years support to LAS users

Roland