Re: [las_users] Unstructured grids/meshes

Hi Anton,

Depending upon how complex the unstructured meshes are, it is possible to write a custom Ferret script that will allow LAS to provide visualizations.  I guess you'd call it "partial support", because the visualization scripts are not available with LAS "out of the box", and we know that the generic manner in which Ferret works with these data has inefficiencies that would make it unsuitable for really huge or complex meshes.

In the bigger picture of operations on unstructured grids -- efficient subsetting, creating subsets as netCDF files, etc. -- there is a community of folks working on tools.  Once those tools become available we will incorporate them into LAS.  Some of the existing tools are found in application-specific toolboxes like Matlab, that are more difficult (though possible with programmer work)  to incorporate into LAS.  I've cc'ed to Rich Signell to see the state of progress on generic netCDF toolkits for mesh data.

    - Steve

Anton Yoel Buenavista wrote:
Dear fellow LAS users,

We'd like to display via LAS, contours from unstructured grids/meshes. I presume someone has done this.  May we seek advice on how this can be done?

Specific questions:
- What plotting engine was used? (We presume not Ferret)
- What sort of grid data format did you have?  If netcdf, what convention?
- Are you able to zoom into an area by using the mouse to rubberband a rectangular area?
- What version of LAS did you use?

Thank you all for any advice.
--
Regards,