Re: [las_users] How to substitute higher-resolution coastlines in LAS?

Hi John,
LAS uses a medium-resolution dataset to draw the land outlines; in Ferret this is the dataset used by the script land_detail.jnl, which the FAQ you're looking at talks about. A very-high dataset for the entire earth would get quite large, as you can imagine, and would be slow to use.

To get even higher-resolution outline of a small region such as the Hawaiian islands into LAS, you would need to create the land-outline dataset as outlined in the FAQ, and then edit the XY plotting scripts to draw this outline rather than calling land_detail.  We'd also have to check that the region being plotted isn't larger than what's available in the the specialized Hawaii-coastlines file.

I wonder if a better solution would be to have the Ferret scriptsdo a contour plot at elevation=0, of the high-resolution topographic data etopo05. This topography dataset is used for the reference map already, when the region in question is small and so higher resolution is desirable.

John, I'll look into this a bit and send you some ideas. Then when we get something working we can report back to the LAS list.

Ansley

John Maurer, IV wrote:
Dear LAS Community,
The default coastlines used in LAS over Hawaii are very poor and don't include all of the islands. Is there a way to bump up the coastline resolution or to substitute a different coastline file for overlaying onto our plots? I found a way to handle this in Ferret (see URL below), but I wasn't sure how to incorporate this into LAS. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/HOMEPAGE/FAQ/graphics/coastlines.html

Regards,
John Maurer
---
Hawaiʻi Ocean Observing System (http://hioos.org)
School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST)
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa