Re: [las_users] LAS Difference plot error

Penny,

This restriction should only affect those cases where variables from two data sets are mixed in the same "leaf" category.  Having a high level categories like "Atmosphere" -> "Air Quality" and "Atmosphere" -> "Aerosols" where the variables from "Air Quality" and "Aerosols" come from different LAS <dataset> elements should work just fine as long as all the variables from "Air Quality" comes form one data set and all the variables "Aerosols" come from one <dataset> element.  If they don't, they you can add a category to separate them..

"Atmosphere" -> "Air Quality" -> "Air Quality from Data Set #1 on 2-degree Grid"
"Atmosphere" -> "Air Quality" -> "Air Quality form Data Set #2 on 5-degree Grid"

What we are trying to prevent with this restriction is the mixing of variables defined on different grids into one "leaf" node category.

Are you running into some specific problems and error messages deploying your categories in LAS 7.0.3 or were you just asking based on the reading the poorly worded documentation?

Roland

Oots, Penny C. (LARC-E301)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS APPLICATIONS] wrote:
I have been testing the LAS 7.0.3 V7 interface and ran smack into a major problem trying to use the categories.xml file I have been using for the last four years (http://mynasadata.larc.nasa.gov/las/servlets/dataset).

As documented “The new rules for category construction prohibit mixing variables from different data sets into the same category.”   Because we are using LAS to serve data to teachers, students, and interested public, we have grouped the datasets offered by more general categories.

Is there any chance you will reconsider this prohibition in a future release?  I do realize that the ‘classic interface’ can use the categories but I thought I saw an email that the classic interface might not be supported in the future.

Penny Oots
Science Systems & Applications Inc.
NASA Langley Research Center, MS 157D
Hampton, VA 23681-2199