Re: [las_users] how to modify ferret memsize in LAS

Hi Lele,
You can do this in a Ferret init script; so you would configure

   <properties>
<ferret> <init_script>my_dataset_init.jnl</init_script>
      </ferret>
   </properties>

and then in the init script, include the command

  set memory/size=128

Documentation for installing init scripts is here:
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/LAS/documentation/installer-documentation/advanced-dataset-configuration/using-init_scripts-for-custom-ferret-behavior

For something as common as setting the memory size, I agree with you that a Ferret property to set the memory would be a much more simple and straitforward way to go. We'll look at adding this small feature soon.

Ansley

lele wrote:
Hi,
today I had a lot of troubles trying to enlarge the memsize of ferret in LAS.

I added in las.xml the following lines
    <properties>
       </ferret>
    </properties>

but ferret always used 16 Mb! I'm sure about this since I added a "show memory" line in Plot_1D.jnl and whenever the script was executed I got "Current size of FERRET memory cache: 16 MegaWords (1 word = 4 bytes)"

At last I succeeded but the only way was to edit the file las/WEB-INF/classes/resources/ferret/scripts/FBS.jnl adding to it the line set memory/size=128

I hope this can help somebody (or prove I didn't read carefully the documentation!)

Ciao from Italy,
Emanuele Lombardi

LAS:   	7.0 beta
ferret:  	6.1 Linux(g77) 2.6.9-22. - 03/26/08
tomcat: 	6.0.14

Here the entire las.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE spec SYSTEM "spec.dtd" [
  <!ENTITY operations SYSTEM "operations.xml">
  <!ENTITY insitu_operations SYSTEM "insitu_operations.xml">
<!ENTITY  ATM1958AVG  SYSTEM "lele/ATM1958AVG.xml">
]>
<lasdata>
  <output_dir>/usr/share/tomcat6/webapps/las/output</output_dir>
<institution name="ENEA" contact="emanuele.lombardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" url="http://clima.casaccia.enea.it:8080/las"; />
  <properties>
    </ferret>
  </properties>