[las_users] ferret and installation problem final wrap-up

This is not a question, but simply a restatement and answer to
my earlier questions, so that it is easier for others
that follow.  A moderator might want to delete my ealier
posts and just leave this one.

I had two problems.

1) In the installation I had the problem
where configure script came up with the message

 "This process does not have write access .... "

I traced the problem to line 1797 of
configure.pl.  This main thing here, is that a modified
the perl a tiny bit to tell me what directory it didn't
have write access to and then I created it (it didn't exist)
and then things went fine.

2)  When I got things up and running I would still
get error like:

Adding an acceptable error string: "*** NOTE: ".
        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v6
        Linux(g77) 2.4.21-32 - 08/23/06
         3-May-07 18:12

yes? cancel mode verify
yes? cancel mode interp
yes? define symbol mark_grid = default
yes? define symbol image_format = default
yes? canc data/all
yes? go std_initialize "http://gw550-3.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/eee";
"1" "1" "covice"
 **netCDF error
             OPeND(OPeNDAP/netCDF Error code 1001)
             Data set: http://gw550-3.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/eee
set data "http://gw550-3.coaps.fsu.edu/thredds/dodsC/eee";
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

when I tried to make a ferret plot from with las.  I see now there are
two
obvious posibilities.  One, you haven't got your various ferret path
variables set up right, at least when las is running ferret.  The other
possibility
is that the las server directory and the las directory (somewhere in
there) is under
an ownership or permissions so that ferret can not see the file or
ferret can not
write it to give to ferret.  You may have to relax some permissions.

Hope this helps.