Re: something to try interrum / Re: [las_users] MySQL problem with LAS6.5.1.2 on Mandriva 10.2

All,

Roland Schweitzer posted some more documentation on how LAS users MySQL.  It should address some of the questions raised in this email:

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/LASdoc?file=87

Tip-of-the-Day:  The Faq-o-Matic search page lets you search for any documents modified in the last day/week/month.  Checking for updates occasionally will allow you to stay abreast of improvements to our documentation:

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/LASdoc?cmd=searchForm

-- Jon

cermak@sfos.uaf.edu wrote:
During the LAS configure process, use a root level access account, like 'root'
and its password, if you have one for it.  If you use a separate user other
than 'root' and a password for the account into the MySQL system, then you
must change las.properties to reflect it.

Using 'root' will install a default password for a user called 'las'.   The
password is in the file below.

However, if you created a las user in advance with a custom password, that
password has to be in las.properties.   Make sure the LAS system is shutdown
before you edit the file.  If you edit it and shut it down, your change
is overwritten.

Summary, the user/password in configure is not passed through to
the las.properies.... unless that was fixed in this later version :)

Feel free to ask any more questions if I made you more confused.

---

Password mismatch from configure -> Java

The password we enter during configure is not passed through to
$LAS_HOME/las_servlet/src/las.properties

I recall now that during the configure you have to use a 'root'-like
privileged user so it creates the las user and password in the mysql
database.   What I did was created a las user with enough privileges
to allow drops and index creation.  So, the step where the it serializes
the .xml to the database worked, fired up LAS and got a connection error
in reported by java.  IE: the passwords didn't match...  lots of head
banging here.

Quoting Hartmut Frenzel <frenzel@quercus.igpp.ucla.edu>:

Hello there,

thanks to the first tip in this message
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/Mail_Archives/fu_2005/msg00210.html

(i.e. modify line 1689 in configure.pl back and forth, the version

} elsif ($module eq 'URI' || $module eq 'URI:URL') {

doesn't work for me), I got LAS installed, and "sort of running".

Now I have the second problem from the same message, i.e. the MySQL
connection doesn't work, the error message in the browser is

javax.servlet.ServletException: Server connection failure during
transaction. Due to underlying exception: 'java.net.SocketException:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused'.

I can't figure out what Rob did, and there doesn't seem to be anything
in the LAS documentation. So far, I ran the configure and startserver.sh
scripts as root. During the configure process, I also set root as the
MySQL account.

Do I have to create a las user for MySQL with mysqladmin, and use that
in configure?
Or run configure as a non-root user?

My version of MySQL is MySQL-4.1.11-1mdk

I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!
-- Hartmut