Re: problem stems from Mysql server / Re: [las_users] MySQL problemwith LAS 6.5.1.2 on Mandriva 10.2

Rob,

We're doing some final testing on a bug-fix release of LAS and I would like to get the URI module test correct. In the currently released version of LAS the test and fix for the URI module is broken /(mea culpa)/. What I really need to know is what version of URI is broken on your system before you 'fix' it by installing the LAS version.

We're currently running URI-1.21 on our RedHat Enterprise Linux systems and that doesn't seem to cause any problems at all. We release URI-1.19 with LAS but I'm wondering if perhaps we should upgrade rather than downgrade. It would be a tremendous help if you could try installing the latest CPAN version of URI (1.35) to see if that works.

We would love to save you and a host of other folks the headache of debugging these knotty installation issues but we need your help in finding out what works on your systems.

Thanks,

-- Jon

cermak@sfos.uaf.edu wrote:

Hartmut,

The answer is, java uses the fully qualified hostname to connect to
the MySQL database. Once I enabled remote connections to MySQL, things
started working.

Edit : /etc/sysconfig/mysqld

Remove:
# (oe) Remove --skip-networking to enable network access from
# non local clients. Access from localhost will still work.
#MYSQLD_OPTIONS="--skip-networking"

WARNING: You need to secure the MySQL server for root by giving
it a password. You will also need to restrict access to/from
the MySQL server using the fully qualified domain name.

mysql> select Host,User,Password from user;
+-----------+------+------------------+
| Host | User | Password |
+-----------+------+------------------+
| localhost | root | |
| localhost | | |
| localhost | las | 51cca9f95577687a |
+-----------+------+------------------+

Unfortunately, I goofed my setup, but at any rate. Root
should be secure as it can only connect from the localhost.
You should set password for good measure.

The Host entry for las should be the hostname from which
Tomcat is running LAS. If you ended up with localhost for
las, this can be changed.

UPDATE user SET Host='my.host.net' WHERE User='las';

It turns out the message you quoted from me has a bug as well. The
suggested line should have two colons (::) for the module
name. However, the installation still fails and you have to
revert the change after doing a local install of the module.

I have basic instructions up on our development site for LAS
now (Mandrake 10.2). There is one more addition. The directories
where you have pointed aliases:

# LAS
<Directory /usr/local/las/server>
AllowOverride All
Options ExecCGI
<IfModule mod_access.c>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</IfModule>
</Directory>

<Directory /usr/local/las/server/output>
AllowOverride All
<IfModule mod_access.c>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</IfModule>
</Directory>
# END LAS

Adjust yours appropriately. All seems right with the world.
Give me hollar if there is still a problem.

This is the first time I got this particular version of LAS
working with Mandrake 10.2 :) Glad you nudged me to check this
problem out.

Rob

Quoting Hartmut Frenzel <frenzel@quercus.igpp.ucla.edu>:

Hello there,

thanks to the first tip in this message
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/Mail_Archives/fu_2005/msg00210.html

(i.e. modify line 1689 in configure.pl back and forth, the version

} elsif ($module eq 'URI' || $module eq 'URI:URL') {

doesn't work for me), I got LAS installed, and "sort of running".

Now I have the second problem from the same message, i.e. the MySQL connection doesn't work, the error message in the browser is

javax.servlet.ServletException: Server connection failure during transaction. Due to underlying exception: 'java.net.SocketException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused'.

I can't figure out what Rob did, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the LAS documentation. So far, I ran the configure and startserver.sh scripts as root. During the configure process, I also set root as the MySQL account.

Do I have to create a las user for MySQL with mysqladmin, and use that in configure?
Or run configure as a non-root user?

My version of MySQL is MySQL-4.1.11-1mdk

I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!
-- Hartmut