[las_users] 6.5.1.12 installation error

Hello,

I'm trying to build a LAS server with this setup:

LAS 6.5.1.12
Ferret5.81
Apache2-2.0.53-9mdk
java j2sdk-1.4.2_08-fcs
Linux Mandriva 10.2
perl-5.8.7-3.1.20060mdk
perl-URI-1.35-1mdk

So far, I'm just trying to get the basic COADS sets to work, but I run into the same problems that have been reported before, i.e.
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/LAS/Mail_Archives/fu_2005/msg00132.html

I managed to solve this problem:
UI property in 'file:///ui.xml#VecVariable' must refer
to file:ui.xml at ../xml/perl/LASServlet.pm line 2059.
Error in generating HTML.

with the suggested

cd las_servlet
ant clean
ant dist

But then I get the other problem that's described in the older message:

# /usr/local/las/bin/initialize_check.sh
get_las_page.pl failed, server response was: 500 Internal Server Error
Initialization failed.

Or in the browser:

java.lang.ClassCastException gov.noaa.pmel.tmap.ExceptionFilter.doFilter(ExceptionFilter.java:39)

The older message has these tips:
1. compiled an older version of URI, and installed in site-perl. I got the older version from the las installation.
2. I started getting mysql problems. I solved the mysql problem (which i
emailed you earlier) by downloading mysql-connector and installing/copying
the jar files into $JAVA_HOME\jre\lib\ext.

I'm not sure if I need to do one or both steps, and I don't know how to do either one. Could anybody please give a more detailed description?

The URI module seems to be compiled already:
/usr/local/las/xml/perl/modules/URI-1.19/URI.pm

Do I need to move it into the /usr/lib/perl5 tree?

Thanks!
-- Hartmut
begin:vcard
fn:Hartmut Frenzel
n:Frenzel;Hartmut
org:University of California, Los Angeles;Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
adr:;;5854 Slichter Hall;Los Angeles;CA;90095-1567;USA
email;internet:hfrenzel@igpp.ucla.edu
title:Programmer/Analyst III
tel;work:(310) 825-4682
tel;fax:(310) 206-3051