Re: [las_users] LAS Error of JGOFS customisation.

Hi Takaya,

OK - I'll take a shot at this ...

Responding to your questions below:
OPeNDAP/JGOFS Server
   The OPeNDAP/JGOFS server provides access to distributed JGOFS data objects.  It does not require installation of a complete JGOFS data system.  It only needs to know the JGOFS object specifier supplied by the JGOFS DBMS dictionary (.objects file) and have access to the method specified by the object definition.
Complete OPeNDAP/JGOFS Server documentation available here:
   http://www.opendap.org/server/install-html/install_19.html

JGOFS Data system:
This is a database engine developed in the late 80s to support US JGOFS and includes a command line and web interface to provide access via methods to distributed data objects.
Complete documentation for this is here:
   http://usjgofs.whoi.edu/datasys/jgdb_docs/jgsys.html

>> OPeNDAP/JGOFS Server looks dods server.
The OPeNDAP/JGOFS Server is a special and optional server which can be installed as part of a larger OPeNDAP (formerly known as DODS) server.  It allows one to serve JGOFS data objects via OPeNDAP.  This is extremely useful for someone like myself who has both field data (hydrographic profiles) as well as gridded model output.  I can make all my data holdings (both JGOFS objects and NetCDF files) available via OPeNDAP.

>> However, do I need to install JGOFS server?
If you only want to use JGOFS format objects (as defined in the JGOFS .objects dictionary) to access in situ data via LAS, then I believe the answer is no.  I do not have documentation for the JGOFS-LAS interface, but my understanding is that you only need the JGOFS list application and are not required to install the full JGOFS DBMS.  (I must admit, I was looking forward to reading Jon's response to your question  ;-)    It's difficult for me to know this for sure, since I do have a full JGOFS DBMS installed, and I use that list app instead of the one from
$LAS_root/server/bin

>> Is that [JGOFS server] different from OpenDAP/JGOFS Server?
yes.  but they are certainly related (see OpenDAP/JGOFS Server documentation link above)

Hope this helps,
Cyndy

Jonathan Callahan wrote:
Takaya,

Cyndy or the JGOFS folks will have to answer this one. When we
originally worked with Cyndy to create an LAS front end to JGOFS data we
used the JGOFS 'list' command and that is the access mechanism used by
the code in the las/contrib/jgofs/ directory.

-- Jon

Namba Takaya wrote:

Dear Jonathan

I am sorry to trouble you with a stupid question.
I has been confused with OPeNDAP/JGOFS Server and JGOFS
server here and JGOFS Data system. Still I do not
understand what JGOFS Sever is even though I had read some
documents. I have DODS server in my linux with LAS.
OPeNDAP/JGOFS Server looks dods server. However, do I need
to install JGOFS server? Is that different from
OpenDAP/JGOFS Server?

Best Regards,

Takaya Namba

--- Jonathan Callahan <Jonathan.S.Callahan@noaa.gov> か
らのメッセージ:

All,

To use the JGOFS server you will have to compile the
'list' JGOFS data
access client on your system. This is not done
automatically for you
when you install the JGOFS server from the
las/contrib/ area. (In fact,
the configuration information in las/contrib/jgofs/
is fairly old and is
probably out of date with respect to the current
list of datasets at JGOFS.)

The source code for the JGOFS 'list' client is found
in
las/contrib/jgofs/data_access/. Please consult the
documentation there
or Cyndy Chandler for information on compiling it.

Once compiled, this client application must live in
the las/server/bin/
directory. (Create this directory if it doesn't
already exist.)

I hope this info helps you get local verions of the
JGOFS LAS User
Interface up and running.

-- Jon

Namba Takaya wrote:

Dear Cyndy

Thank you very much for your quick and kind reply.

I could not find the "list" in server/bin. I cound

not

fine "bin" directory either. Then I found the

"list" in

../xml/perl/modules/Template-Toolkit-2.14/templates/html.

I made  directory "bin" in "server/" and did copy

"list'
>from there.

Does it matter?

And access the server.

The result is as below,

No data are available to be plotted
The query submitted to the back end database

returned no

valid data for this variable.
You may widen the search for data by expanding the

region

of space or time.
You may also wish to remove any additional

constraints

being applied.
Note that some databases include variables for

which there

are very few, even zero, locations with valid data.

This is because there are no proper JGOFS database

but

only demo database "LAS_insitu_demo" in my sql

server.

Is it right?

Best Regards,

Takaya Namba

--- Cyndy Chandler <cchandler@whoi.edu>

からのメッセージ

Namba,

and is there an executable file named "list" in
$LAS_ROOT/server/bin

if not, that's the problem and you'll need to find
out where that file
is supposed to come from. I don't remember if it
gets built as part of
the custom JGOFS install or if you need to install

JGOFS server in
addition to LAS.

- cyndy

Namba Takaya wrote:

Dear Sir

I had tried to use the customisation of JGOFS as

contrib>make jgofs

then

server>make

The installation looks good.

When I access the las server, the error comes as

below,

LAS Error
The following error message was received from

LAS:

Can't read file: bin/list at

../xml/perl/TMAP/TMAPJGOFS.pm

line 213.

Could you tell me how to solve this problem?

Best Regards,

Takaya Namba

--------------------------------------
Know more about Breast Cancer
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/pinkribbon/

Cyndy Chandler		| voice: (508) 289-2765
MS #43, WHOI		| Office hrs: M-F ~ 9-4
Woods Hole, MA  02543	| FAX: (508) 457-2161
cchandler@whoi.edu |
http://www.whoi.edu/people/cchandler
Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Data Management
Office
Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution