[las_users] organization of forecast datasets

We have created aggregate subsets for a precipitation model. The model creates 0-3 hr, 3-6 hr, 6-9 hr, etc. forecasts. Each is used to create a LAS dataset which has the same set of variables. My xml file is organized something like this:

<datasets>

<nam_218_precip_015_018
name="North American Meso-scale - 15 to 18 hour forecast Precipitation Subset"
url="file:dummy.nc"
doc="">
<variables>
<snod
name="surface snow depth [m] " units="m" url="http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov:9091/dods/NCEP_NAM/subsets/nam_218_precip_015_018";>
<link match="/lasdata/grids/nam_218_time_lat_lon_grid"/>
</snod>
</variables>
</nam_218_precip_015_018>

<nam_218_precip_018_021
name="North American Meso-scale - 18 to 21 hour forecast Precipitation Subset"
url="file:dummy.nc"
doc="">
<variables>
<snod
name="surface snow depth [m] " units="m" url="http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov:9091/dods/NCEP_NAM/subsets/nam_218_precip_018_021";>
<link match="/lasdata/grids/nam_218_time_lat_lon_grid"/>
</snod>
</variables>
</nam_218_precip_018_021>

<nam_218_precip_021_024
name="North American Meso-scale - 21 to 24 hour forecast Precipitation Subset"
url="file:dummy.nc"
doc="">
<variables>
<snod
name="surface snow depth [m] " units="m" url="http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov:9091/dods/NCEP_NAM/subsets/nam_218_precip_021_024";>
<link match="/lasdata/grids/nam_218_time_lat_lon_grid"/>
</snod>
</variables>
</nam_218_precip_021_024>

</datasets>

Using categories, the LAS user needing to select which forecast to use by clicking on a link. I wonder if this is the best way to organize this. One thing I'm considering is to customize the UI to have the user select the hour range as a constraint. Does anyone have a different suggestion to make this more user-friendly?

Thanks.
Andrea

--
Andrea Fey