Re: LAS: initialize_check.sh

Lynn,

Two things you can try.

The goal of the initialize_check.sh script is to save to disk a copy of your LAS opening page. In order to do that we wrote a Perl script that is distributed with LAS. That Perl script is failing in your environment (I haven't told you anything you don't know already).

One way around the problem is to substitute a different mechanism for rendering that page to disk. If you have the lynx browser built on your system you can modify the scripts to use that instead. (See: http://lynx.browser.org/).
The another option is to debug the script. The problem is likely due to a difference in the version of the libwww Perl module the script is finding on your site versus the one we are using. If your LAS installed the libwww perl module when you installed your LAS, you might try adding the lines:

use Config;
use lib ('../xml/perl','../xml/perl/TMAP','.', '../xml/perl/install/lib/' . $Config{version},
'../xml/perl/install/lib/site_perl/' . $Config{version},
'../xml/perl/install/lib/perl5/' . $Config{version},
'../xml/perl/install/lib/perl5/site_perl/' . $Config{version});

after the use warning; line. This will allow the script to find the modules installed by LAS.

Try adding the search path to the script and if that doesn't work if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to install lynx. It's what I used when I first implemented the idea of automatic monitoring. It's easy to install and is pretty well tested.

Roland

Lynn Dewitt wrote:

Hi,
Until now I hadn't tried to implement las_ui_check.sh in cron, but recently users have been throwing Java exceptions while using Safari with the two-click map (at least that appears to be what's happening) and I'm having to reboot the tomcat server often, so I decided to give the cron script a try.

When I run initialize_check.sh I get the following:

Not a SCALAR reference at /usr/local/(las_root)/bin/get_las_page.pl line 38

I get the same error for two different LAS's - both are basically the default installation.

I'm running las 6.5.0.4 on Solaris 9 with Apache 1.3 and the Tomcat server that came in the las tarball

Any ideas?

Thanks. Lynn

Lynn deWitt
Pacific Fisheries Environmental Lab