Re: LAS: Server configuration denies access to data source

Joerg,

What version of LAS are you trying to install?

Even though you are able to connect via PHP and via Perl (the LAS configure script), the MySQL JDBC connector for Java has a known problem connecting using "localhost". An explanation of the problem can be found here: http://www.cs.wcupa.edu/~rkline/mysql-java-lin.html under the section entitled: "The localhost problem for JDBC:MySQL".

Starting with LAS 6.5 we get around this problem by asking separately in the configuration process for the fully qualified domain name for the MySQL host and using that for the servlet to connect. E.g.:

I need to log in to the MySQL database. To do this, I have to connect to
your MySQL server using a privileged MySQL account that allows me to create
a new user account and/or edit the las database.
Enter name of mysql host : [stout.pmel.noaa.gov] localhost
MySQL account name: [root]
Enter password: []
Enter the fully qualified domain name of the mysql host : [stout.pmel.noaa.gov]

In this example I used "localhost" to connect via the "root" user to load the database for the first time, but I leave the default answer "stout.pmel.noaa.gov" as the fully qualified domain name. A new MySQL user "las" will be created and will connect using the Java/JDBC connector using the "stout.pmel.noaa.gov" host name. This will avoid the problem connecting via JDBC using localhost.

If you are installing a pre-6.5 version of LAS try using the fully qualified domain name instead of "localhost". If you are using version 6.5 be sure you answer the question about the domain name of the MySQL host using the fully qualified name (host.subnet.domain.top-level-domain) as in the example above.

Roland

Joerg Franke wrote:

Hi,

I try to install the LAS Server for the first time. My problem is that I got a LAS server error when I type http://localhost:8080/las/servlets/dataset into my browser:

LAS server error

*You have encountered an unexpected User Interface error! Please click here <http://localhost:8080/las/servlets/dataset> to return to the Datasets page. If this error persists please contact the LAS administrator for this site.*

The following error occurred:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Server configuration denies access to data source
at gov.noaa.pmel.tmap.SessionFilter.initDefaultContexts(SessionFilter.java:210)
at gov.noaa.pmel.tmap.SessionFilter.checkSession(SessionFilter.java:338)
at gov.noaa.pmel.tmap.SessionFilter.doFilter(SessionFilter.java:367)

LAS, mysql, apache, perl, ... are all the most recent stable version.

I run mysql as localhost because my test install should only be a local install and the connect to the mysql database works fine when I run the ./configure script with mysql host option "localhost". Configuring with phpMyAdmin via http://localhost/phpMyAdmin works as well. Thus I thought that it is not a problem with the "localhost" setting in mysql.

Did anyone has an idea where the problem could be?

Thanks for any help
Cheers
Jörg

Jörg Franke
University of Bremen
Department of Geosciences - Geosystem Modeling
D-28334 Bremen
Germany

Email: joerg.franke@palmod.uni-bremen.de
Phone: +49-421-218-7186