Can't find netCDF libraries

Hello All,

I'm installing LAS 6_3_0_2 (later I will upgrade to 6.5, but I can't do that
 right now).  After untarring I cd'd into /usr/local/las/las and did a ./con
figure.  I got the message:

Starting Perl configuration script with /usr/bin/perl...
Searching for required Perl modules...

The following Perl modules haven't been installed:
	NetCDF
Do you want to build these modules (this can take up to thirty minutes)? [ye
s] yes

then I got the message:

Now building and installing Perl modules...
Building and installing netcdf-perl-1.2.1...

Can't find netCDF libraries

I installed NetCDF (gtar xvfz netcdf.tar.Z, I know this version of NetCDF is
 OK because this same combination of software is working on another machine)
 and did a ./configure.  The only problem I had was not having a fortran 90
compiler, but the same thing happened on my other machine and it doesn't cau
se a problem there.

Can anyone help here?  Is there something I need to do to make the netcdf li
braries visible to this Perl build process?

Thanks in advance.

Ben