Re: LAS Password Protection

Hi tony,

I tried setting up a virtual host with the following lines:

# Added for LAS server
NameVirtualHost *:8080
<VirtualHost *:8080>
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/las/las_servlet/jakarta/webapps/
    ServerName gascogne.cerfacs.fr:8080
    ErrorLog logs/LAS-ui-error_log
    CustomLog logs/LAS-ui-access_log common

    <Directory "/usr/local/las/las_servlet/jakarta/webapps/">
        Options -Indexes
        AllowOverride All
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Tout le site web"
        AuthUserFile /usr/local/las/passwords
        Require user discendo
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This does not work. i.e. there is no password protection to the page
http:gascogne.cerfacs.fr:8080/las/servlets/dataset

If I add the following line:
listen 0.0.0.0:8080

then, the Apache server looks for an actual HTML page at this address
and returns
error 404: The requested URL /las/servlets/dataset was not found on this
server.

I don't understand how Apache and Tomcat work together.
Where is the address /las/servlets/dataset translated to something like
/usr/local/las/las_servlet/jakarta/webapps ?

Is Apache server transparent to any request coming on port 8080 ?

I am lost
Jean-Marie