Re: When

Adam,

It's fine for you to have one configuration file per variable if that matches your data management strategy. You can always use LAS Categories to group them however you wish. In essence, categories are 'virtual' datasets. The documentation for creating categories is here:

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/LASdoc?file=33

After you're comfortable with the LAS you have set up you might also want to investigate custom Velocity templates for categories:

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/LASdoc?file=34

For the NOMADS data you'll also want to be aware of a new feature in LAS 6.5 that reduces down time when rebuilding the LAS user interface:

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/LASdoc/serve/cache/77.html#Reduced_Down_Time

Good luck and definitely let us know when you're we can take a peek at what you've created.

-- Jon

Adam Baxter wrote:

Thanks Everyone! It works great! I really appreciate all the help I've been given.
One final question and I should be set. We're separating the control files by variable for the moment, mostly due to system constraints . From what I've seen with the xml, each dataset usually only has one control file to point to. Is this correct?
The documentation has some information on creating categories - would this be of any use to coalesce the variables under one category, even if they're under different datasets due to having only one url per dataset?

Adam